Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I Don't Do Sappy

Image by Eng Chun Chia via stock.xchange
Maybe it’s because I recently had a conversation with some friends about how we met our husbands. Or maybe it’s because my hubby has been surprising me with a treat every morning this week and maybe it’s just because it’s February. Whatever the reason, I’ve been feeling particularly sappy.

I don’t normally do sappy. I’m one of those girls who cringe when I see posts on Facebook about how great/hot/sweet/thoughtful someone’s husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend is. First I think, “Oh, brother.”  And then it makes me feel guilty because I’m not sappy.  It’s not that I don’t love my husband. But if I want him to know that, I just tell him. I see no need to announce it to the world. The only person who matters already knows how I feel. Right?

And then there are the questions that somehow always come up when you meet new people. How did you and your husband meet? How did he propose? What are your favorite things about him? I have my standard, one sentence answers for these. “We met at a party. He proposed at Multnomah Falls. Uh….everything?” It’s not that I don’t have answers. I have really good answers, actually! It’s just that...well, they’re my answers! Mine and my husband’s. And really, how do you answer questions about the most important person and event in your life in the course of a simple conversation with someone you barely know anyway?

My answer to that question is: “You don’t!" You don’t share it. But as I’ve mentioned, I’m feeling particularly sappy lately. And I’m becoming sooooo forgetful since having a baby. So I’d like to write about my love story before I forget the details! Maybe one day, I will share it with you. For now, it’s mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment