Tuesday, June 3, 2014

They Told Me I Am a Woman

They said I can do anything.

Who “they” are, I don’t know.

But I suppose they were right.

I’ve not yet tried something I couldn’t do. I am completely confident that with sufficient time and persistence, I could do anything.  

I don’t think that’s vain. After all, I didn’t say it would be easy. I just said I could do it. Eventually.

So they were right. I can do anything.

But they were wrong, too.

See, they also said that “can” means “should” and “anything” means “everything.”

They said I can do anything, but what I heard, what I’ve recently realized I believe, is:

  I should do everything.

I can’t be the only one who heard that. Right?

Given our societies obsession with feminism, women’s lib, girl power, and strong female characters, how could we not? How could we not feel pressure to do everything and do it perfectly? Because we can. Because we should.

I’m a stay at home mom, but I feel like I should also provide a supplementary income in some creative way that takes absolutely no time away from my son. I feel like I should be a handyman, able to fix every problem around the house myself. I should handle car problems. I should have an amazing meal prepared at the same time every night. I should pre-pack aesthetically
pleasing and healthy lunches for my husband and son. I should get plenty of exercise every day. I should make sure my husband, son and dog get plenty of exercise every day.

I should host fabulous parties with all of my friends, where everything is homemade and the table is laid out with expensive dishes and centerpieces. I should have lots of friends in the first place. I should host play groups. I should spend hours reading to my son and teach him the ABC’s now that he’s almost two. (Because we’re so so behind on Kindergarten prep.)  

I should have an entire summer of fun, age appropriate “sensory” activities (whatever that means) planned for my son. I should spend hours on crafts for our five-minute family home evening lesson, because everyone knows you can’t learn anything by simply reading scriptures together.

I should be happy all the time, but my gosh! I’m exhausted just typing all of the things I should be doing. It makes me crazy just to think about it all. And I haven’t listed a small fraction of the things floating around in my head that belong on that list.

I’m sure you have your own, very long list. I don’t know if you’re a working mom, a single mom, or if you have any kids at all, but I know you have a list.

And ladies, I truly think that we can do everything. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think so. Whether we should is another question—one that I don’t have an answer to.

But should or should not, here is my confession: I don’t want to.

There. I said it. I don’t want to. I don’t want to work to supplement our income, or fix cars, or so many other things on the list that’s been imprisoning me.

There are so many things I don’t want to do, but there are just as many that I do.
I love cooking for my family. I love reading with my son. I love spending hours on a craft for our five-minute lesson. But when I try to do everything, I end up not loving any of it.

I want to love being a mom. I want to love being a wife. I want to love being a homemaker. So I’m going to let myself love it. I’m going to joyfully fulfill those responsibilities that I choose to take on. I’m going to let my husband fulfill the responsibilities he’s chosen to take on, and we’re going to let go of the ones that aren't that important to us.

Because I’m a woman, and I can do that too.




Do you think you should do everything? What things will you let go of?
Perfection Pending

12 comments:

  1. I love this! Yes I have a list. Yes I shred the list up when I get overwhelmed and for some crazy reason I end up rewriting the list all over again eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that, too! Sometimes I have days when I don't do anything on my list. And I think that's a problem for me! SOMETHING needs to get done :) So I'm trying to edit the list this time instead of shred it. Hopefully that makes things more manageable for me!

      Delete
  2. So well said. I right now, I should go pick up the house, the two year old trashed the living room just before bed time while I was outside playing with her older sisters. Because I should play with them, and I should make dinner - and so I did. And I should and did, mow the lawn, and put a coat of varnish on the table we are making, work in the gardens, make tomato cages and take care of the animals. And now, now I really don't want to do another single thing for anyone other than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound so much like me! I think we'd be friends :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely post. I think we can do everything but it doesn't all have to be done at once. Enjoy your time as a mum and don't feel guilty, or anything else, about it. It's a precious time and one that you can't get back. There's plenty of time for everything else, so let it wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola :) That's exactly what I'm working on, and I think I'm getting better at letting go of the guilt!

      Delete
  4. I love this post - I've certainly thought about this a lot.

    I'm a full-time working mom. I've worked out that, yes, I can do it all. I just can't do it all at once.

    And I shouldn't. Because it would break me.

    That said, I am still often frustrated by my perceived failure to manage it all and often feel I am letting some aspect of my life down when I don't do something (not hosting New Years Eve? - But you did last year! Now what are we suppose to do! Not cooking dinner tonight? But that's less healthy! Not playing another round of alphabet bingo with the kids? You did see her report card, right? Not taking the promotion that means 70 hour work weeks and nanny care? - You're letting down feminism! Etc...

    Where I've landed for the time being on this is that there are a million different ways to be a woman and a mom and everyone needs to figure out their way of doing it.

    Good luck to you! - Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! "You're letting down feminism!" "Why did you go to college if you're going to stay home?" Oh goodness, I feel that way a lot, so I love the idea that everyone has a different way of being a woman. I really want to be a stay at home mom, and that choice isn't letting anyone down!

      Delete
  5. I agree completely! I have written many posts about being a happily self chosen average person. I have no desire to do everything. Not because I couldn't but I chose not to. I'm content to keep it simple :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that so much :) A self-chosen average person is exactly what I want to be! I remember a Jr. High teacher telling me I was going to be a millionaire one day. And I thought, "I don't think I really want to!" I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in my desire to be average :)

      Delete
  6. Wow. This is a powerful post. I feel that way too sometimes. And, sometimes, it happens so subtly that I don't even recognize it until I'm up to my ears in obligations and stress. I've learned as I get older to say no, and be more confident in my decisions about what I can handle and what I can't, but it's still so hard. Great post, and I'm so glad you linked up this week to Manic Mondays. :) Will share this today on social media!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in Meridith! I love Manic Mondays :) You had a lot of link-ups this week, too! I'm just starting to practice saying no. That's a new experience for me, but it feels SO good!

      Delete